To make open declaration of, as of one's knowledge, belief, action, etc.; to avow or acknowledge; to confess publicly; to own or admit freely.
- To affirm openly; declare or claim: "a physics major [who] professes to be a stickler when it comes to data” ( Gina Maranto).
- To make a pretense of; pretend: "top officials who were deeply involved with the arms sales but later professed ignorance of them” ( David Johnston).
- To practice as a profession or claim knowledge of: profess medicine.
- To teach (a subject) as a professor: profess literature.
- To affirm belief in: profess Catholicism.
- To receive into a religious order or congregation.
- To make an open affirmation.
- To take the vows of a religious order or congregation.