To carry or send back.
- To direct to a source for help or information: referred her to a heart specialist; referred me to his last employer for a recommendation.
- To assign or attribute to; regard as originated by.
- To assign to or regard as belonging within a particular kind or class.
- To submit (a matter in dispute) to an authority for arbitration, decision, or examination.
- To direct the attention of: refer him to his duties.
- To pertain; concern: questions referring to yesterday's lecture.
- To make mention or reference.
- To have recourse; turn: refer to a dictionary.