To turn away; to abandon or reject something; specifically, to turn away, or shrink, with abhorrence.
- To attempt to overthrow the authority of the state; rebel.
- To oppose or refuse to accept something: revolting against high taxes.
- To feel disgust or repugnance: to revolt at a public display of cruelty.
- To turn away in revulsion or abhorrence: They revolted from the sight.
- To fill with disgust or abhorrence; repel. See Synonyms at disgust.
- An uprising, especially against state authority; a rebellion.
- An act of protest or rejection.
- The state of a person or persons in rebellion: students in revolt over administrative policies.