The act of revolving, or turning round on an axis or a center; the motion of a body round a fixed point or line; rotation; as, the revolution of a wheel, of a top, of the earth on its axis, etc.
- Orbital motion about a point, especially as distinguished from axial rotation: the planetary revolution about the sun.
- A turning or rotational motion about an axis.
- A single complete cycle of such orbital or axial motion.
- The overthrow of one government and its replacement with another.
- A sudden or momentous change in a situation: the revolution in computer technology.
- Geology A time of major crustal deformation, when folds and faults are formed.