The stump of a tree; that part of a tree or plant which remains fixed in the earth when the stem is cut down; -- applied especially to the stump of a small tree, or shrub.
- The usually short end remaining after something bigger has been used up: a pencil stub; a cigarette stub. See Regional Note at stob.
- Something cut short or arrested in development: a stub of a tail.
- The part of a check or receipt retained as a record.
- The part of a ticket returned as a voucher of payment.
- To pull up (weeds) by the roots.
- To clear (a field) of weeds.
- To strike (one's toe or foot) against something accidentally.
- To snuff out (a cigarette butt) by crushing.