To follow up; to chase; to seek after; to endeavor to win; to woo.
- Law To petition (a court) for redress of grievances or recovery of a right.
- Law To institute proceedings against (a person) for redress of grievances.
- Law To carry (an action) through to a final decision.
- To court; woo.
- Obsolete To make a petition to; appeal to; beseech.
- Law To institute legal proceedings; bring suit.
- To make an appeal or entreaty: "I sue for grace, and thou deny'st me” ( Francis Quarles).
- To pay court; woo.