The beginner, former, or first mover of anything; hence, the efficient cause of a thing; a creator; an originator.
- The writer of a book, article, or other text.
- One who practices writing as a profession.
- One who writes or constructs an electronic document or system, such as a website.
- An originator or creator, as of a theory or plan.
- Usage Problem To assume responsibility for the content of (a published text).
- To write or construct (an electronic document or system): authored the company's website.