A prayer; a supplication; an imploration; an entreaty; especially, a request of a solemn or formal kind; a prayer to the Supreme Being, or to a person of superior power, rank, or authority; also, a single clause in such a prayer.
- A solemn supplication or request to a superior authority; an entreaty.
- A formal written document requesting a right or benefit from a person or group in authority.
- Law A formal written application requesting a court for a specific judicial action: a petition for appeal.
- Law The judicial action asked for in any such request.
- Something requested or entreated.
- To address a petition to.
- To ask for by petition; request formally.
- To make a request, especially formally: petitioned for retrial.