A position or proposition which a person advances and offers to maintain, or which is actually maintained by argument.
- A proposition that is maintained by argument.
- A dissertation advancing an original point of view as a result of research, especially as a requirement for an academic degree.
- A hypothetical proposition, especially one put forth without proof.
- The first stage of the Hegelian dialectic process.
- The long or accented part of a metrical foot, especially in quantitative verse.
- The unaccented or short part of a metrical foot, especially in accentual verse.
- Music The accented section of a measure.