A net or snare; any thread, web, or string spread for taking prey; -- usually in the plural.
- To labor continuously; work strenuously.
- To proceed with difficulty: toiling over the mountains.
- Exhausting labor or effort: "A bit of the blackest and coarsest bread is . . . the sole recompense and the sole profit attaching to so arduous a toil” ( George Sand). See Synonyms at work.
- Archaic Strife; contention.
- Something that binds, snares, or entangles one; an entrapment. Often used in the plural: caught in the toils of despair.
- Archaic A net for trapping game.