To pull or draw with great effort; to draw along with continued exertion; to haul along; to tow; as, to tug a loaded cart; to tug a ship into port.
- To pull at vigorously or repeatedly.
- To move by pulling with great effort or exertion; drag.
- To tow by tugboat.
- To pull hard: tugged at her boots. See Synonyms at pull.
- To toil or struggle; strain.
- To vie; contend.
- A strong pull or pulling force: the tug of the sea.
- A contest; a struggle: a tug between loyalty and desire.
- A tugboat.
- A land, air, or space vehicle that moves or tows other vehicles: an airplane tug.
- A rope, chain, or strap used in hauling, especially a harness trace.