Being further up, literally or figuratively; higher in place, position, rank, dignity, or the like; superior; as, the upper lip; the upper side of a thing; the upper house of a legislature.
- Higher in place, position, or rank: the upper bunk; the upper half of the class.
- Situated on higher ground: upper regions.
- Lying farther inland: the upper Nile.
- Northern: the upper Midwest.
- Geology & Archaeology Of, relating to, or being a later division of the period named.
- Denoting the smaller and usually less broadly representative house of a bicameral legislature.
- The part of a shoe or boot above the sole.
- Informal An upper berth.
- Informal The upper teeth or a set of upper dentures.
- Slang A drug, especially an amphetamine, used as a stimulant.
- Slang An exhilarating or euphoric experience.
- on (one's) uppers Informal Impoverished; destitute.