- A small mass of soft material, often folded or rolled, used for padding, stuffing, or packing.
- A compressed ball, roll, or lump, as of tobacco or chewing gum.
- A plug, as of cloth or paper, used to retain a powder charge in a muzzleloading gun or cannon.
- A disk, as of felt or paper, used to keep the powder and shot in place in a shotgun cartridge.
- Informal A large amount: a wad of troubles.
- Informal A sizable roll of paper money.
- Informal A considerable amount of money.
- To compress into a wad.
- To pad, pack, line, or plug with wadding.
- To hold (shot or powder) in place with a wad.
- To insert a wad into (a firearm).
- To form into a wad.