Very miserable; sunk in, or accompanied by, deep affliction or distress, as from want, anxiety, or grief; calamitous; woeful; very afflicting.
- In a deplorable state of distress or misfortune; miserable: "the wretched prisoners huddling in the stinking cages” ( George Orwell).
- Characterized by or attended with misery or woe: a wretched life.
- Of a poor or mean character; dismal: a wretched building.
- Contemptible; despicable: wretched treatment of the patients.
- Of very inferior quality: wretched prose.