To break into, or between; to stop, or hinder by breaking in upon the course or progress of; to interfere with the current or motion of; to cause a temporary cessation of; as, to interrupt the remarks of anyone speaking.
- To break the continuity or uniformity of: Rain interrupted our baseball game.
- To hinder or stop the action or discourse of (someone) by breaking in on: The baby interrupted me while I was on the phone.
- To break in on an action or discourse.
- Computer Science A signal to a computer that stops the execution of a running program so that another action can be performed.
- Computer Science A circuit that conveys a signal stopping the execution of a running program.