Acting; -- opposed to patient, or sustaining, action.
- One that acts or has the power or authority to act.
- One empowered to act for or represent another: an author's agent; an insurance agent.
- A means by which something is done or caused; instrument.
- A force or substance that causes a change: a chemical agent; an infectious agent.
- A representative or official of a government or administrative department of a government: an FBI agent.
- A spy.
- Linguistics The noun or noun phrase that specifies the person through whom or the means by which an action is effected.
- To act as an agent or representative for: Who will agent your next book?
- To act as an agent or representative.