To render obscure by making the form or outline of confused and uncertain, as by soiling; to smear; to make indistinct and confused; as, to blur manuscript by handling it while damp; to blur the impression of a woodcut by an excess of ink.
- To make indistinct and hazy in outline or appearance; obscure.
- To smear or stain; smudge.
- To lessen the perception of; dim: "For street children . . . drugs offer the chance to blur their hopeless poverty” ( Alma Guillermoprieto).
- To become indistinct.
- To make smudges or stains by smearing.
- A smear or blot; a smudge.
- Something that is hazy and indistinct to the sight or mind.