A knob; a small ball; a small, roundish mass.
- A generally disk-shaped fastener used to join two parts of a garment by fitting through a buttonhole or loop.
- Such an object used for decoration.
- Any of various objects resembling a button, especially:
- A push-button switch.
- The blunt tip of a fencing foil.
- A fused metal or glass globule.
- Computer Science In graphical user interface systems, a well-defined area within the interface that is clicked to select a command.
- Computer Science In a hypertext database, an icon that when selected allows a user to view a particular associated object.
- Any of various knoblike structures of a plant or animal, especially:
- An immature, unexpanded mushroom.
- The tip of a rattlesnake's rattle.
- A usually round flat badge that bears a design or printed information and is typically pinned to a garment: a campaign button.
- Informal The end of the chin, regarded as the point of impact for a punch.
- To fasten with buttons: buttoned his shirt; buttoned up her raincoat.
- To decorate or furnish with buttons.
- Informal To close (the lips or mouth): Button your lip.
- To be or be capable of being fastened with buttons: The blouse buttons up the back.
- button up To fasten one's clothing tightly, as against cold weather.
- button up To close or seal securely: button up the cabin for winter.
- button up To complete the final details of: "Publication is a couple of months off; they're just buttoning up paperback rights” ( Donald Dale Jackson).
- on the button Exactly; precisely.