To make remarks, observations, or criticism; especially, to write notes on the works of an author, with a view to illustrate his meaning, or to explain particular passages; to write annotations; -- often followed by on or upon.
- A written note intended as an explanation, illustration, or criticism of a passage in a book or other writing; an annotation.
- A series of annotations or explanations.
- A statement of fact or opinion, especially a remark that expresses a personal reaction or attitude.
- An implied conclusion or judgment: a novel that is a comment on contemporary lawlessness.
- Talk; gossip: a divorce that caused much comment.
- Computer Science A string of text in a program that does not function in the program itself but is used by the programmer to explain instructions.
- Linguistics The part of a sentence that provides new information about the topic. Also called rheme.
- To make a comment; remark.
- To serve as a judgmental commentary: "Her demise comments on [the Upper East Side's] entire way of life” ( Mark Muro).
- To make comments on; annotate.