The act of entering or going into; ingress; as, the entrance of a person into a house or an apartment; hence, the act of taking possession, as of property, or of office; as, the entrance of an heir upon his inheritance, or of a magistrate into office.
- The act or an instance of entering.
- A means or point by which to enter.
- Permission or power to enter; admission: gained entrance to medical school.
- The point, as in a musical score, at which a performer begins.
- The first entry of an actor into a scene.
- Nautical The immersed part of a ship's hull forward of the middle body.
- To put into a trance.
- To fill with delight, wonder, or enchantment: a child who was entranced by a fairy tale. See Synonyms at charm, enrapture.