To call to activity in any way; to rouse to feeling; to kindle to passionate emotion; to stir up to combined or general activity; as, to excite a person, the spirits, the passions; to excite a mutiny or insurrection; to excite heat by friction.
- To stir to activity.
- To call forth (a reaction or emotion, for example); elicit: odd noises that excited our curiosity.
- To arouse strong feeling in: speakers who know how to excite a crowd. See Synonyms at provoke.
- Physiology To produce increased activity or response in (an organ, tissue, or part); stimulate.
- Physics To increase the energy of.
- Physics To raise (an atom, for example) to a higher energy level.