A stroke with a rod or switch; a severe spasm; a twinge; a pang.
- To encircle with a belt or band.
- To fasten or secure (clothing, for example) with a belt or band.
- To surround. See Synonyms at surround.
- To equip or endow.
- To prepare (oneself) for action.
- To prepare for action: "Men still spoke of peace but girded more sternly for war” ( W. Bruce Lincoln).
- gird (up) (one's) loins To summon up one's inner resources in preparation for action.
- To jeer or jeer at.
- A sarcastic remark.