A rib; a side; a region or coast.
- An amount paid or required in payment for a purchase; a price.
- The expenditure of something, such as time or labor, necessary for the attainment of a goal: "Freedom to advocate unpopular causes does not require that such advocacy be without cost” ( Milton Friedman).
- Law The charges fixed for litigation, often payable by the losing party.
- To require a specified payment, expenditure, effort, or loss: It costs more to live in the city.
- To have as a price.
- To cause to lose, suffer, or sacrifice: Participating in the strike cost me my job.
- To estimate or determine the cost of: The accountants costed out our expenses.
- at all costs Regardless of the expense or effort involved; by any means.