To turn over; to put upside down; to upset; to place in a contrary order or direction; to reverse; as, to invert a cup, the order of words, rules of justice, etc.
- To turn inside out or upside down: invert an hourglass.
- To reverse the position, order, or condition of: invert the subject and predicate of a sentence.
- To subject to inversion. See Synonyms at reverse.
- To be subjected to inversion.
- Something inverted.
- Psychology One who takes on the gender role of the opposite sex.
- Psychology In the theory of Sigmund Freud, a homosexual person. No longer in scientific use.