A large tree, the Artocarpus integrifolia, common in the East Indies, closely allied to the breadfruit, from which it differs in having its leaves entire. The fruit is of great size, weighing from thirty to forty pounds, and through its soft fibrous matter are scattered the seeds, which are roasted and eaten. The wood is of a yellow color, fine grain, and rather heavy, and is much used in cabinetwork. It is also used for dyeing a brilliant yellow.
- Informal A man; a fellow.
- One who does odd or heavy jobs; a laborer.
- One who works in a specified manual trade. Often used in combination: a lumberjack; a steeplejack.
- A sailor; a tar.
- Games A playing card showing the figure of a servant or soldier and ranking below a queen. Also called knave.
- Games A game played with a set of small six-pointed metal pieces and a small ball, the object being to pick up the pieces in various combinations.
- Games One of the metal pieces so used.
- Sports A pin used in some games of bowling.
- A usually portable device for raising heavy objects by means of force applied with a lever, screw, or hydraulic press.
- A wooden wedge for cleaving rock.
- A device used for turning a spit.
- Nautical A support or brace, especially the iron crosstree on a topgallant masthead.
- Nautical A small flag flown at the bow of a ship, usually to indicate nationality.
- The male of certain animals, especially the ass.
- Any of several food and game fishes of the family Carangidae, found in tropical and temperate seas.
- A jackrabbit.
- A socket that accepts a plug at one end and attaches to electric circuitry at the other.
- Slang Money.
- Slang A small or worthless amount: You don't know jack about that.
- To hunt or fish for with a jacklight: hunters illegally jacking deer.
- To move or hoist by or as if by using a jack: jacked the rear of the car to replace the tire.
- To raise (something) to a higher level, as in cost: "Foreign producers jacked up the price on some steels by over 100%” ( Forbes).
- Baseball To hit (a pitched ball) hard, especially for a home run.
- To hunt or fish for quarry by using a jacklight.
- jack off Vulgar Slang To masturbate.