To make an overture to; as, to overture a religious body on some subject.
- Music An instrumental composition intended especially as an introduction to an extended work, such as an opera or oratorio.
- Music A similar orchestral work intended for independent concert performance.
- An introductory section or part, as of a poem; a prelude.
- An act, offer, or proposal that indicates readiness to undertake a course of action or open a relationship.
- To present as an introduction or proposal.
- To present or make an offer or proposal to.