To breathe quickly or in a labored manner, as after exertion or from eagerness or excitement; to respire with heaving of the breast; to gasp.
- To breathe rapidly in short gasps, as after exertion.
- To beat loudly or heavily; throb or pulsate.
- To give off loud puffs, especially while moving.
- To long demonstratively; yearn: was panting for a chance to play.
- To utter hurriedly or breathlessly: I panted my congratulations to the winner of the race.
- A short labored breath; a gasp.
- A throb; a pulsation.
- A short loud puff, as of steam from an engine.
- Trousers. Often used in the plural.
- Underpants. Often used in the plural.
- with (one's) pants down Slang In an embarrassing position.