The art of painting; representation by painting.
- A visual representation or image painted, drawn, photographed, or otherwise rendered on a flat surface.
- A visible image, especially one on a flat surface or screen: the picture reflected in the lake; focused the picture on the movie screen.
- A vivid or realistic verbal description: a Shakespearean picture of guilt.
- A vivid mental image.
- A person or object bearing a marked resemblance to another: She's the picture of her mother.
- A person, object, or scene that typifies or embodies an emotion, state of mind, or mood: Your face was the very picture of horror.
- The chief circumstances of an event or time; a situation.
- A movie.
- A tableau vivant.
- To make a visible representation of.
- To form a mental image of; visualize.
- To describe vividly in words; make a verbal picture of: pictured their heroism in glowing language. See Synonyms at represent.