The act of preparing or fitting beforehand for a particular purpose, use, service, or condition; previous arrangement or adaptation; a making ready; as, the preparation of land for a crop of wheat; the preparation of troops for a campaign.
- The act or process of preparing.
- The state of having been made ready beforehand; readiness.
- A preliminary measure that serves to make ready for something. Often used in the plural: preparations for the wedding.
- A substance, such as a medicine, prepared for a particular purpose.
- Music The anticipation of a dissonant tone by means of its introduction as a consonant tone in the preceding chord.
- Music The dissonant tone so anticipated.