Ready and quick to act as occasion demands; meeting requirements readily; not slow, dilatory, or hesitating in decision or action; responding on the instant; immediate; as, prompt in obedience or compliance; -- said of persons.
- Being on time; punctual.
- Carried out or performed without delay: a prompt reply.
- To move to act; spur; incite: A noise prompted the guard to go back and investigate.
- To give rise to; inspire: The accident prompted a review of school safety policy.
- To assist with a reminder; remind.
- To assist (an actor or reciter) by providing the next words of a forgotten passage; cue.
- The act of prompting or giving a cue.
- A reminder or cue.
- Computer Science A symbol that appears on a monitor to indicate that the computer is ready to receive input.
- Business A prompt note.
- Business The time limit stipulated in a prompt note.