To perceive by the olfactory organs; to smell; as, to scent game, as a hound does.
- A distinctive, often agreeable odor. See Synonyms at fragrance, smell.
- A perfume: an expensive French scent.
- An odor left by the passing of an animal.
- The trail of a hunted animal or fugitive.
- The sense of smell: a bear's keen scent.
- A hint of something imminent; a suggestion: caught the scent of a reconciliation.
- To perceive or identify by the sense of smell: dogs scenting their prey.
- To suspect or detect as if by smelling: scented danger.
- To fill with a pleasant odor; perfume: when blossoms scent the air.
- To hunt prey by means of the sense of smell. Used of hounds.