A flat tablet or ledge of any material set horizontally at a distance from the floor, to hold objects of use or ornament.
- A flat, usually rectangular structure composed of a rigid material, such as wood, glass, or metal, fixed at right angles to a wall or other vertical surface and used to hold or store objects.
- The contents or capacity of such a structure.
- Something, such as a projecting ledge of rock or a balcony, that resembles such a structure.
- A reef, sandbar, or shoal.
- off the shelf From ready-made merchandise in stock: supplies that were available off the shelf.
- on the shelf In a state of disuse.
- on the shelf Unemployed.
- on the shelf Out of circulation.
- on the shelf Retired.