An undertaking of chance or danger; the risking of something upon an event which can not be foreseen with certainty; a hazard; a risk; a speculation.
- An undertaking that is dangerous, daring, or of uncertain outcome.
- A business enterprise involving some risk in expectation of gain.
- Something, such as money or cargo, at hazard in a risky enterprise.
- To expose to danger or risk: ventured her entire fortune.
- To brave the dangers of: ventured the high seas in a small boat.
- To express at the risk of denial, criticism, or censure: "I would venture to guess that Anon., who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman” ( Virginia Woolf).
- To take a risk; dare.
- To proceed despite possible danger or risk: ventured into the wilderness.
- at a venture By mere chance or fortune; at random.