Something worn round the neck, whether for use, ornament, restraint, or identification; as, the collar of a coat; a lady's collar; the collar of a dog.
- The part of a garment that encircles the neck.
- A necklace.
- A restraining or identifying band of leather, metal, or plastic put around the neck of an animal.
- The cushioned part of a harness that presses against the shoulders of a draft animal.
- Biology An encircling structure or bandlike marking, as around the neck of an animal, suggestive of a collar.
- Any of various ringlike devices used to limit, guide, or secure a machine part.
- Slang An arrest, as of a criminal.
- To furnish with a collar.
- Slang To seize or detain.
- Slang To arrest (a criminal, for example).