- A loose pliable covering for the head and neck, often attached to a robe or jacket.
- An ornamental draping of cloth hung from the shoulders of an academic or ecclesiastical robe.
- A sack placed over the head of a falcon to keep it quiet.
- A metal cover or cowl for a hearth or stove.
- A carriage top.
- The hinged metal lid over the engine of a motor vehicle.
- Zoology An expanded part, crest, or marking on or near the head of an animal.
- To supply or cover with a hood.
- Slang A hoodlum; a thug.
- Slang A rowdy or violent young person.
- Slang A neighborhood, usually in the inner city.