The state of being difficult, or hard to do; hardness; arduousness; -- opposed to easiness or facility; as, the difficulty of a task or enterprise; a work of difficulty.
- The condition or quality of being difficult: the difficulty of a task.
- Something not easily done, accomplished, comprehended, or solved.
- A troublesome or embarrassing state of affairs, especially of financial affairs. Often used in the plural.
- A laborious effort; a struggle; trouble: had difficulty walking; completed the test with difficulty.
- A disagreement or dispute.
- Reluctance or an objection; unwillingness.