Equal in worth or value, force, power, effect, import, and the like; alike in significance and value; of the same import or meaning.
- Equal, as in value, force, or meaning.
- Having similar or identical effects.
- Being essentially equal, all things considered: a wish that was equivalent to a command.
- Mathematics Capable of being put into a one-to-one relationship. Used of two sets.
- Mathematics Having virtually identical or corresponding parts.
- Mathematics Of or relating to corresponding elements under an equivalence relation.
- Chemistry Having the same ability to combine.
- Logic Having equivalence: equivalent propositions.
- Something that is essentially equal to another: "Prejudicing vital foreign policy considerations in order to rescue individuals finds its domestic equivalent in the inflated awards paid to ... accident and malpractice victims” ( Moorhead Kennedy).
- Chemistry Equivalent weight.