The act of exploding; detonation; a chemical action which causes the sudden formation of a great volume of expanded gas; as, the explosion of gunpowder, of fire damp,etc.
- A release of mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy in a sudden and often violent manner with the generation of high temperature and usually with the release of gases.
- A violent bursting as a result of internal pressure.
- The loud, sharp sound made as a result of either of these actions.
- A sudden, often vehement outburst: an explosion of rage.
- A sudden, great increase: a population explosion; the explosion of illegal drug use.
- Linguistics See plosion.