One who founds, establishes, and erects; one who lays a foundation; an author; one from whom anything originates; one who endows.
- To sink below the surface of the water: The ship struck a reef and foundered.
- To cave in; sink: The platform swayed and then foundered.
- To fail utterly; collapse: a marriage that soon foundered.
- To stumble, especially to stumble and go lame. Used of horses.
- To become ill from overeating. Used of livestock.
- To be afflicted with laminitis. Used of horses.
- To cause to founder.
- See laminitis.
- One who establishes something or formulates the basis for something: the founder of a university; the founders of a new nation.