A state that requires supply or relief; pressing occasion for something; necessity; urgent want.
- A condition or situation in which something is required or wanted: crops in need of water; a need for affection.
- Something required or wanted; a requisite: "Those of us who led the charge for these women's issues ... shared a common vision in the needs of women” ( Olympia Snowe).
- Necessity; obligation: There is no need for you to go.
- A condition of poverty or misfortune: The family is in dire need.
- To be under the necessity of or the obligation to: They need not come.
- To have need of; require: The family needs money. See Synonyms at lack.
- To be in need or want.
- To be necessary.