Precisely agreeing with a standard, a fact, or the truth; perfectly conforming; neither exceeding nor falling short in any respect; true; correct; precise; as, the clock keeps exact time; he paid the exact debt; an exact copy of a letter; exact accounts.
- Strictly and completely in accord with fact; not deviating from truth or reality: an exact account; an exact replica; your exact words.
- Characterized by accurate measurements or inferences with small margins of error; not approximate: an exact figure; an exact science.
- Characterized by strict adherence to standards or rules: an exact speaker.
- To force the payment or yielding of; extort: exact tribute from a conquered people.
- To demand and obtain by or as if by force or authority: a harsh leader who exacts obedience. See Synonyms at demand.