Placed over against; standing or situated over against or in front; facing; -- often with to; as, a house opposite to the Exchange.
- Placed or located directly across from something else or from each other: opposite sides of a building.
- Facing the other way; moving or tending away from each other: opposite directions.
- Being the other of two complementary or mutually exclusive things: the opposite sex; an opposite role to the lead in the play.
- Altogether different, as in nature, quality, or significance: The effect of the medication was opposite to that intended.
- Sharply contrasting; antithetical: had opposite views on the subject.
- Botany Growing in pairs on either side of a stem: opposite leaves.
- One that is opposite or contrary to another.
- An opponent or antagonist.
- An antonym.
- In an opposite position: They sat opposite at the table.
- Across from or facing: parked the car opposite the bank.
- In a complementary dramatic role to: He played opposite her.