- Water condensed from atmospheric vapor and falling in drops.
- A fall of such water; a rainstorm.
- The descent of such water.
- Rainy weather.
- A rainy season.
- A heavy or abundant fall: a rain of fluffy cottonwood seeds; a rain of insults.
- To fall in drops of water from the clouds.
- To fall like rain: Praise rained down on the composer.
- To release rain.
- To send or pour down.
- To give abundantly; shower: rain gifts; rain curses upon their heads.
- rain out To force the cancellation or postponement of (an outdoor event) because of rain. Used in passive constructions: The ball game was rained out.
- rain cats and dogs Informal To rain very heavily.