The act of setting, or the state of being settled.
- The act or process of settling.
- Establishment, as of a person in a business or of people in a new region.
- A newly colonized region.
- A small community.
- An arrangement, adjustment, or other understanding reached, as in financial or business proceedings: a divorce settlement.
- Law Transfer of property to provide for the future needs of a person.
- Law Property thus transferred.
- A center providing community services in an underprivileged area. Also called settlement house.