A company of people transplanted from their mother country to a remote province or country, and remaining subject to the jurisdiction of the parent state; as, the British colonies in America.
- A group of emigrants or their descendants who settle in a distant territory but remain subject to or closely associated with the parent country.
- A territory thus settled.
- A region politically controlled by a distant country; a dependency.
- A group of people with the same interests or ethnic origin concentrated in a particular area: the American colony in Paris.
- The area occupied by such a group.
- The British colonies that became the original 13 states of the United States.
- A group of people who have been institutionalized in a relatively remote area: an island penal colony.
- Ecology A group of the same kind of animals, plants, or one-celled organisms living or growing together.
- Microbiology A visible growth of microorganisms, usually in a solid or semisolid nutrient medium.