To sprinkle with a liquid or with any wet substance, as water, mud, or the like; to make wet of foul spots upon by sprinkling; as, to spatter a coat; to spatter the floor; to spatter boots with mud.
- To scatter (a liquid) in drops or small splashes.
- To spot, splash, or soil.
- To sully the reputation of; defame.
- To come forth in drops or small splashes: Hot grease spattered in all directions.
- To fall in or as if in a shower, as rain or bullets.
- The act of spattering.
- The condition of being spattered.
- A spattering sound.
- A drop or splash of something spattered.
- A small amount; a smattering: just a spatter of praise.