A long rope or chain by which an animal is fastened, as to a stake, so that it can range or feed only within certain limits.
- A rope, chain, or similar restraint for holding an animal in place, allowing a short radius in which it can move about.
- A similar ropelike restraint used as a safety measure, especially for young children and astronauts.
- A rope, chain, or similar restraint for holding one, especially an animal, in place, allowing a short radius in which one can move about.
- The extent or limit of one's resources, abilities, or endurance: drought-stricken farmers at the end of their tether.
- To fasten or restrict with or as if with a tether.