Moving or acting with physical strength; urged or impelled with force; excited by strong feeling or passion; forcible; vehement; impetuous; fierce; furious; severe; as, a violent blow; the violent attack of a disease.
- Marked by, acting with, or resulting from great force: a violent attack.
- Having or showing great emotional force: violent dislike.
- Marked by intensity; extreme: violent pain; a violent squall. See Synonyms at intense.
- Caused by unexpected force or injury rather than by natural causes: a violent death.
- Tending to distort or injure meaning, phrasing, or intent.