Serious in feeeling or manner; sedate; grave; austere; not light, lively, or cheerful.
- Unsparing, harsh, or strict, as in treatment of others: a severe critic.
- Marked by or requiring strict adherence to rigorous standards or high principles: a severe code of behavior.
- Stern or forbidding, as in manner or appearance: spoke in a severe voice.
- Extremely plain in substance or style: a severe black dress.
- Causing great discomfort, damage, or distress: a severe pain; a severe storm.
- Very dangerous or harmful; grave or grievous: severe mental illness.
- Extremely difficult to perform or endure; trying: a severe test of our loyalty.