- A staple food made from flour or meal mixed with other dry and liquid ingredients, usually combined with a leavening agent, and kneaded, shaped into loaves, and baked.
- Food in general, regarded as necessary for sustaining life: "If bread is the first necessity of life, recreation is a close second” ( Edward Bellamy).
- Something that nourishes; sustenance: "My bread shall be the anguish of my mind” ( Edmund Spenser).
- Means of support; livelihood: earn one's bread.
- Slang Money.
- To coat with bread crumbs, as before cooking: breaded the fish fillets.